Saturday, May 10, 2008

Beef Stir Fry

I like it when I make something up and not only is it really easy, but it's a hit.

I bought stir fry meat at the grocery store - I have no idea what cut it was, but it was already sliced into strips. Then, I bought a bag of "stir-fry" veggies - carrots, mushrooms, snap peas, peppers, baby corn, and water chestnuts. I knew Tom wasn't going to like the last two, but that was the only mix they had and I was too lazy to chop my own fresh veggies, so I figured he could pick around them.

I sauted the meat in canola oil and added the veggies. Then, I made up the sauce, which "made" the dish. Really, it was a no-brainer. About 1/4 cup of soy sauce, a splash of sesame oil, some siracha, garlic powder, and ground ginger. It would have been better with fresh garlic and ginger, but I was too lazy to chop the former and didn't have the latter. I added about a tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken it and stirred it. I added it to the beef and veggies and heated it through. Served it with rice.

Tom said, "This is better than some Asian restaurants I've been too." And, yes, he did pick around the water chestnuts and the baby corn. They were "plehs", to paraphrase T...

No comments: